Animation, Cameras and Lighting

For the first scene, all that was required was a simple tap of the foot. This was achieved using the auto key function and the rotate tool. A target camera was used, which was attached to a line using the path constraint function. This allowed me to create a smooth zoom.




For the second scene, I wanted a close up of the characters 'face', and a simple animation consisting of the eyebrows moving up and down. Again using the autokey, I raised and lowered the eyebrows using the move tool. The camera was steady this time. 




The third scene was a little more complicated. I wanted to show the character jumping onto his skateboard, and to make this in any way realistic I looked at the physical process involved when a human (or animal) jumps. 


These three frames show that the person jumping bends their knees and crouches slightly, before straightening their knees and pushing off with their feet.  

I tried to replicate this in this scene of my animation, moving certain vertices of the character's legs with soft selection on, and then moving them back with the auto key on. Again with the auto key on, I raised the character and lifted him onto the skateboard. The camera zoomed outwards as he began his journey (again using a line and the path constraint function).




For the next scene, I wanted Chris passing by the (fixed) camera, which was achieved by using the move tool and the auto key function. I also bent his legs slightly, and bent his arms. 





For the final scene, I wanted a simple zoom into the character, who would be in a similar pose to the first scene, in order to 'bookend' the animation. 





In terms of lighting, I had intended to use a skylight, as this gave the animation a really nice look, with subtle shadows and smooth, rounded edges. Unfortunately, every time I attempted to export the animation using the skylight, the program would freeze, so I had to find another suitable light. In the end I chose to use the omni light, which gave at least an even light to the scene.